SOR Logo
St. Mary's Cathedral

Source: Gigi Samuel, Bangalore; Dec 2009

Church Website


No. 13, Queen's Road
Bangalore - 560052
Karnataka, India

Phone: + 91 80-2267243
Cathedral Web Site:


From City Bus Stand take Bus No. 290 to 303 and disembark at CSI bus stop.

Worship Services

Holy Qurbono First Service : Sunday 7:00 am
  Second Service : Sunday 8:15 am
Evening Prayer   : Saturday 6:00 pm
Fasting Prayer   : Friday 10:00 am

Shunoyo (Assumption of Virgin Mary) on August 15th is the main feast day celebrated. The feast day of St. George on May 6th is a minor feast.


Fr. Kuriakose Maniyattu is the vicar of the church. Fr. Kuriakose is a native of Marady (E) near Muvattupuzha in Ernakulam district. He completed his priestly studies at Malekurishu dayro. He earlier served the churches in Thokkuppara (Idukki), Kothamangalam, Bombay and Muscat. Before assuming pastoral responsibilities at St. Mary's Church, Fr. Kuriakose was the vicar of St. Ignatius Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Krishnarajapuram, Bangalore.

Brief History

The Syrian Orthodox Christian community of Kerala started migrating to Bangalore and the surrounding places in the early 1930's. The early Jacobite Christians, who did not have a worship center of their own, joined a common prayer group. There after Holy Qurbono was offered in the churches belonging to sister congregations until the late 1970's. The tireless effort of the congregation under the leadership of the then vicar Fr. M.K. Thomas (now H.G. Mor Themotheos Thomas) realized this dream in the form of St. Mary's Church, Bangalore.

The new church was consecrated by the Catholicos of the East H.B. Baselios Paulose II, of blessed memory. A period of religious, cultural and economic growth followed. As years passed by, the congregation grew and spread to the suburbs of Bangalore. As a result, churches were established at Mathikere and Krishnarajapuram.

The present church building comprises of the church, parsonage, Bishop's suite, a Public School and an Opportunity school. The church has also started a Mission center at Anagalapura village, about 20 kms from the city.

Holy Qurbono is offered on all Sundays and moronoyo festivals. Various spiritual organizations like the Sunday school, Martha Mariam Vanitha Samajam (Women's Association) and Youth league are very active in the church.


  1. St. Mary's Public School
    The school was started in 1983 and has classes from Std I to X (ICSE). Today the school has more than 800 students enrolled and has maintained 100% success in the public examinations.
  2. St. Mary's Opportunity School
    The church and its members, without resting on the past achievements felt the need to do something even more substantial in the field of education, in serving the needs of mentally handicapped children. With this vision, an opportunity school was started on st June 1998. The scarcity of funds did not deter the members of the church, who had immense faith in the belief that 'God will provide' and that they could count on the support of generous members of the society. The donations, in cash and kind, have come spontaneously, and have gone a long way in sustaining the project.
    The school has progressed well. Presently there are 13 mentally handicapped students. The next academic year holds the promise of more children being enrolled and requires financial resources.
    The first steps in the long journey of service to the less fortunate have been taken. We now appeal to everyone of you to pray and contribute towards this task, to be a part of this humble service to our lord Jesus Christ. Anyone who wishes to support this endeavor may send payments by cheque/DD drawn in favour of St. Mary's Opportunity school, No.13, Queen's road, Bangalore - 560052.
  3. Anagalpura Mission Center
    The church started mission work at Anagalpura village situated in the outskirts of Bangalore. Under the guidance of our Diocesan Bishop H.G. Mar Themotheos Thomas and with the help of some well wishers of the church, we could aquire more than 2 acres of land and started a center to co-ordinate the mission activities. After witnessing the dedicated services of our community, one of the villages has come forward and donated 1.25 acres of land to extend our work for the glory of the Lord.

    This village is surrounded by five villages with about 5000 families, the majority of which are Hindus by faith. The illiterate poor and under employed people lack basic necessities like School, Medical Facilities, Transportation and even a Post Office.
    For the service of these under privileged the Mission has a Mission center, Chapel, St George Primary School, Vocational Training courses and Medical Help.

The efforts mentioned above serve our mission to witness the Lord. We appeal to our brethren to join us in our mission in many ways such as:

  • Praying for this mission work.
  • Sponsoring educational expenses of children (approx. Rs. 1500 or $30 per year for a child).
  • Sponsoring vocational training expenses of youth (approx. Rs. 1000 per year for each student).
  • Supporting the purchase of a sewing machine (approx. Rs. 2000).
  • Supporting health care activities, particularly to acquire an Ambulance and open a Medical Clinic.

Cheques or DD should be drawn in favour of "Mission Center, Anagalapura". For more details please write to us at:

Fr. Paulose Mangalath
Mission Center
Anagalapura village,
Dodda Gubbi P.O
Bagalur, Bangalore - 526149

Copyright © Syriac Orthodox Resources. All Rights Reserved.
Last Update: December 19, 2010