The Syrian Orthodox Church observes six fasts:
- Fast of Nineveh: Three days commencing
on the Monday of the third week prior to the Great
- The Great Lent: Forty eight days prior
- Advent: Fifteen days commencing on the 15th of December.
- Fast of the Apostles: Three days commencing of the 26th of June.
- Fast of the Virgin Mary: Five days commencing on the 10th of August.
- Wednesday and Friday Fast: Every Wednesday and Friday around the year,
except the 50 days between Easter and Pentecost and any feast of the
Lord or the Virgin Mary.
Afram Barsoum (1951). Golden Key to the Divine Worship.